Penn Hills Charter School of Entrepreneurship Constitution
We the people of Penn Hills Charter School of Entrepreneurship, in order to form a more perfect school, establish fairness, encourage that everyone gets along, expect visitors to act like they belong, emphasize everyone stays safe and healthy, and to ensure all future students, families, and teachers of Penn Hills Charter School of Entrepreneurship enjoy the same freedoms we enjoy today, so approve this Constitution for Penn Hills Charter School of Entrepreneurship.
Section 1: All law making powers will be given to our congress that will be made up of a House of Representatives.
Section 2: The House of Representatives will be elected each year by the students of Penn Hills Charter School of Entrepreneurship. The representatives will be made up of 1 student from each classroom.
In order to run for office, each candidate must follow and agree to the criteria below:
- Every representative must be a student of Penn Hills Charter School
- Every representative will be from each classroom
- Every representative must earn grades of (D)eveloping/(S)atisfactory in each class or better
- Every representative will have no more than 1 office referral
- Representatives cannot have more than 3 MicroSociety violations in one year. If they do, they must perform community service. The Community Service will be specified by Congress with a 2/3 vote. If they receive another violation, they will be removed as a representative and replaced.
- If a representative is elected and receives a lower grade than (D)eveloping on their report card or receives more than allotted office referrals they will be replaced for the remainder of the year. This new selection will be determined by a 2/3 majority vote in the House of Representatives.
The House of Representatives will have power of impeachment.
The Vice-President of Penn Hills Charter School of Entrepreneurship shall be the leader of the Congress. The Vice-President will not vote unless there is a tie.
The Congress will choose their officers, and if the Vice President is absent, they will choose a temporary leader to take their place.
The Congress will have Power of Impeachment. When the President of Penn Hills Charter School is tried then the Chief Justice will preside. No person will be convicted without two-thirds of the members of Congress present.
If a person is impeached, they will be removed from office and will no longer be able to run for any office position in the future at Penn Hills Charter School of Entrepreneurship MicroSociety.
Section 4: The legislative branch will hold elections. If a student wants to run for any branch of Congress, they need to complete an eligibility form including signatures from 5 students, their teacher(s), and the principal stating that they would be eligible to run for office. Election Day will consist of a visual gallery of potential candidates, a voting booth will be provided in the Gym Room, and students will secretly submit their vote.
Section 5: Each member of Congress must keep a journal of all proceedings and any information pertaining to their district (classroom) that the people of Penn Hills Charter School MicroSociety would like discussed at the next meeting. As well as, any laws that need to be introduced. Congressional meeting minutes must be published on the Penn Hills Charter School MicroSociety. This website is viewable by all students and parents: http://www.microsociety.org/index.php
Section 6: Congress shall be compensated for their services. They will receive $5 Micro dollars for each monthly meeting and an additional $7 Micro dollars for any extra sessions.
Section 7: All laws shall begin in the House of Representatives first and will follow the protocol below:
- It is voted on in the House and then sent to the President and the Principal for review and approval.
- If it does not pass the House of Representatives it will die.
- If it is not approved by the President it returns to the House of Representatives for revision.
- The Principal is used only to ensure that the bill does not conflict with any current school rules.
- If not approved, then it would return to the House of Representatives for revision or it will not be a law.
- If the President does not sign or veto it within 10 school days, it will automatically become law.
- Once a bill becomes law, it will be added to the Constitution as an Amendment to the Constitution and will be ratified by the people of Penn Hills Charter School MicroSociety.
Section 8: Congress shall have the power to collect taxes. Taxes are 5%. Congress can approve bonuses and/or raises for agency workers and officers.
Section 1: The executive power of Penn Hills Charter School of Entrepreneurship will be a President for 1 year and he/she cannot run again for President. If a student wants to run for any official position in the Executive Branch, they need to complete an eligibility form including signatures from 5 students, their teacher(s), and the principal stating that they would be eligible to run for office.
The legislature “teacher” facilitator and the principal will count the votes for President and Vice President. Representatives from each district will collect the popular vote to bring to the Electoral College. Each representative will vote in the manner of collected votes from his/her district.
To be eligible for President and/or Vice President each candidate must follow and agree to the criteria shown below:
- The candidate must be an Penn Hills Charter School Student.
- The position of President must be a student in grades 2 or older.
- The President must remain on the Honor Roll for the entire year.
- They may not have any office referral in the current year. They cannot have more than 3 MicroSociety violations in one year, or they will be immediately impeached.
- The Vice President must be a student in grades 1 or older.
- The Vice President must remain on the Honor Roll for the entire year.
- They may not have any office referrals for the current year.
The following criteria relates to the President and/or Vice President once they hold office:
- If the President moves or is impeached, the Vice President becomes President, if they meet all the specified criteria, and a new election for Vice President will be held. Otherwise, a new election will be held for a new President.
- The President and Vice President may not hold any other office within the Legislature.
- From time to time, the President must give a State of the Union address to the entire community about the status of our Penn Hills Charter School MicroSociety.
- The President and Vice President will be compensated for their services.
The Secretary will be responsible to keep meeting minutes and to collect all eligibility documents quarterly to ensure all officers are meeting their criteria.
Before the President takes office, he shall take the following oath: “I do solemnly affirm that I will faithfully carry out the Office of President of Penn Hills Charter School of Entrepreneurship MicroSociety, and will do my best to preserve, keep safe and defend the Constitution of Penn Hills Charter School MicroSociety.”
Section 1: The Judicial Power of Penn Hills Charter School MicroSociety will have one Judicial Branch. This will consist of 3 judges voted for by the Penn Hills Charter School community. All judges must attend law school either before or after nomination. Any judge considered for nomination, must have approval by the Congress with a 2/3 vote. The judicial branch will try all cases pertaining to MicroSociety, except for cases of impeachment.
Any elected judge must follow and agree to the criteria shown below:
- Every judge must be a student of Penn Hills Charter School of Entrepreneurship.
- The candidate must be in grades K-2.
- Judges must be neutral and not show favoritism to either party in court.
- Judges must know the law.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak clearly.
- Must be honest and must ignore outside influences.
- Must be respectful and considerate of others at all times.
- Must be able to remain calm and even-tempered.
- Grades of D/S or better in each class.
- Must have any office referrals in the current year.
If a judge is nominated and receives a lower grade than (D)eveloping/(S)atisfactory on their report card, receives more than allotted office referrals, or receives a MicroSociety violation, they will be replaced for the remainder of the year.